POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : And once again: compiling and installing 3.7 under Debian Linux... Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  And once again: compiling and installing 3.7 under Debian Linux... (Message 34 to 43 of 43)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Re: And once again: compiling and installing 3.7 under Debian Linux...
Date: 11 Feb 2014 19:03:38
Message: <52faba5a$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 10.02.2014 17:21, jhu wrote:

>  From the main povray source you downloaded, copy the following directories to
> /usr/local/share/povray-3.7
>
> ini
> include
> scenes
> scripts

After having also copied povray.conf and povray.ini into the respective
(newly created) directories, it works fine... thank you for compiling, jhu!

Two issues remain: firstly, I still get a warning message "Problem with
option setting", and, as already with 3.6 on my Linux system, I have no
proper preview window, instead of displaying the scene, merely the
non-white parts of backdrop (non-POV-Ray) windows are tinted. I assume
that this is a problem of my graphics driver... do you know of any
workarounds for this (in earlier installations of Debian Linux, I in
fact had a real rendering preview!)?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: To Germany With Love (Alphaville)

Post a reply to this message

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 10.02.2014 17:21, jhu wrote:
>
> >  From the main povray source you downloaded, copy the following directories to
> > /usr/local/share/povray-3.7
> >
> > ini
> > include
> > scenes
> > scripts
>
> After having also copied povray.conf and povray.ini into the respective
> (newly created) directories, it works fine... thank you for compiling, jhu!
>
> Two issues remain: firstly, I still get a warning message "Problem with
> option setting", and, as already with 3.6 on my Linux system, I have no
> proper preview window, instead of displaying the scene, merely the
> non-white parts of backdrop (non-POV-Ray) windows are tinted. I assume
> that this is a problem of my graphics driver... do you know of any
> workarounds for this (in earlier installations of Debian Linux, I in
> fact had a real rendering preview!)?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar
>
> Now playing: To Germany With Love (Alphaville)

Glad it works now! With regard to preview window, I don't know. It's not
something I've noticed mainly because I'm usually rendering on headless
computers.

Post a reply to this message

> After having also copied povray.conf and povray.ini into the respective
> (newly created) directories, it works fine... thank you for compiling, jhu!
>
> Two issues remain: firstly, I still get a warning message "Problem with
> option setting", and, as already with 3.6 on my Linux system, I have no
> proper preview window, instead of displaying the scene, merely the
> non-white parts of backdrop (non-POV-Ray) windows are tinted. I assume
> that this is a problem of my graphics driver... do you know of any
> workarounds for this (in earlier installations of Debian Linux, I in
> fact had a real rendering preview!)?

in regards to the lack of preview window, perhaps the binary was built
without libsdl (simple directmedia layer) ... see what povray --version
returns (hint look for X Window display enabled/disabled)

Post a reply to this message

> Glad it works now! With regard to preview window, I don't know. It's not
> something I've noticed mainly because I'm usually rendering on headless
> computers.

Looks like it's compiled with X window disabled. That's probably why there's no
preview window. Let me see if I can enable X window support...

Post a reply to this message