POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Create heightmap from contour lines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Create heightmap from contour lines (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Create heightmap from contour lines
Date: 4 Jan 2013 14:00:01
Message: <web.50e725c24643925c5abb82230@news.povray.org>
> scott wrote:
>
> > I tried already for each point interpolating between the two nearest
> > contours but it leads to not a very smooth result (jumps and sharp
> > angles). Does anyone know a better way to do this that would lead to a
> > smooth looking surface?
>
> I think such a thing has been posted here once, basically an
> iterative 2d process starting with an height field (image) that has
> the known heights at the contour lines seeded and is then smoothed over
> and over again (and in each step the contour heights are restored).
>
> It sounds like an stbenge thing to me ;) but I can't seem to find it.

How could I overlook this issue? I posted an idea to this issue only some weeks
ago to the p.b.a and the code to the p.b.sf:

http://news.povray.org/web.50955906b25343e5b2c55e290%40news.povray.org

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 4 Jan 2013 14:25:00
Message: <web.50e72c244643925c5abb82230@news.povray.org>
"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Christian Froeschlin <chr### [at] chrfrde> wrote:
> > scott wrote:
> >
> > > I tried already for each point interpolating between the two nearest
> > > contours but it leads to not a very smooth result (jumps and sharp
> > > angles). Does anyone know a better way to do this that would lead to a
> > > smooth looking surface?
> >
> > I think such a thing has been posted here once, basically an
> > iterative 2d process starting with an height field (image) that has
> > the known heights at the contour lines seeded and is then smoothed over
> > and over again (and in each step the contour heights are restored).
> >
> > It sounds like an stbenge thing to me ;) but I can't seem to find it.
>
> How could I overlook this issue? I posted an idea to this issue only some weeks
> ago to the p.b.a and the code to the p.b.sf:
>
> http://news.povray.org/web.50955906b25343e5b2c55e290%40news.povray.org
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

Be aware that with my approach the contour lines itself are not changed during
the iteration. So if you have thick lines or lines that are to close together
you will yield steps as well. With my approach you can run one or two additional
iterations without the seed to smooth this issue.

Being mistaken with one of the masters I take as a compliment, but I'm far away
from Sam's mastery. May be I'm not a rookie but I'm still an apprentice.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

>> How could I overlook this issue? I posted an idea to this issue only some weeks
>> ago to the p.b.a and the code to the p.b.sf:
>>
>> http://news.povray.org/web.50955906b25343e5b2c55e290%40news.povray.org
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michael
>
> Be aware that with my approach the contour lines itself are not changed during
> the iteration. So if you have thick lines or lines that are to close together
> you will yield steps as well. With my approach you can run one or two additional
> iterations without the seed to smooth this issue.
>
> Being mistaken with one of the masters I take as a compliment, but I'm far away
> from Sam's mastery. May be I'm not a rookie but I'm still an apprentice.

Brilliant, that was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks.