POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Asteroid modelling tool? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:58 EDT (-0400)
  Asteroid modelling tool? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Asteroid modelling tool?
Date: 31 Dec 2009 21:01:48
Message: <4b3d578c@news.povray.org>
High!

For my PoVSolar project, I'm still looking for an easy-to-use tool to
model asteroids and small moons (after real NASA images) - one month
ago, Wings3D was recommended to me, so I gave it a try...

But Wings3D turned out to be very cumbersome when it came to placing
craters on the asteroid's surface, especially when using some of the
higher subsurfacing levels.

What I'm looking for is a program which already includes a cratering
tool rather than just crude raising and lowering of surface
triangles/quadrangles in the direction of the respective normal.

What I'm NOT looking for is a more or less random-driven asteroid
generator, as I want to model my asteroids and small moons after real
images obtained by space probes!

Does such a program exist, and would it be able to export to POV-Ray?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

> What I'm looking for is a program which already includes a cratering
> tool rather than just crude raising and lowering of surface
> triangles/quadrangles in the direction of the respective normal.
>
> What I'm NOT looking for is a more or less random-driven asteroid
> generator, as I want to model my asteroids and small moons after real
> images obtained by space probes!
>
> Does such a program exist, and would it be able to export to POV-Ray?

Maybe SharpConstruct is what you want?

Regards, and Happy New Year...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

> For my PoVSolar project, I'm still looking for an easy-to-use tool to
> model asteroids and small moons (after real NASA images) - one month
> ago, Wings3D was recommended to me, so I gave it a try...
>
> But Wings3D turned out to be very cumbersome when it came to placing
> craters on the asteroid's surface, especially when using some of the
> higher subsurfacing levels.
>
> What I'm looking for is a program which already includes a cratering
> tool rather than just crude raising and lowering of surface
> triangles/quadrangles in the direction of the respective normal.
>
> What I'm NOT looking for is a more or less random-driven asteroid
> generator, as I want to model my asteroids and small moons after real
> images obtained by space probes!
>
> Does such a program exist, and would it be able to export to POV-Ray?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

I made a POV file to create cratered planets/moons. It makes an image
that can be use as an image_map. It uses the spherical camera and
polygons with different color maps to make many types of craters.
The image_map can be use as a pigment, a normal or to make mesh.
Right now it's not cleaned up. I can do a little cleaning and send it to
you if you like.

Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message