POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Asteroid modelling tool? : Re: Asteroid modelling tool? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid modelling tool?
From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 1 Jan 2010 15:40:13
Message: <4B3E5D96.4030101@joplin.com>

> High!
>
> For my PoVSolar project, I'm still looking for an easy-to-use tool to
> model asteroids and small moons (after real NASA images) - one month
> ago, Wings3D was recommended to me, so I gave it a try...
>
> But Wings3D turned out to be very cumbersome when it came to placing
> craters on the asteroid's surface, especially when using some of the
> higher subsurfacing levels.
>
> What I'm looking for is a program which already includes a cratering
> tool rather than just crude raising and lowering of surface
> triangles/quadrangles in the direction of the respective normal.
>
> What I'm NOT looking for is a more or less random-driven asteroid
> generator, as I want to model my asteroids and small moons after real
> images obtained by space probes!
>
> Does such a program exist, and would it be able to export to POV-Ray?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

I made a POV file to create cratered planets/moons. It makes an image
that can be use as an image_map. It uses the spherical camera and
polygons with different color maps to make many types of craters.
The image_map can be use as a pigment, a normal or to make mesh.
Right now it's not cleaned up. I can do a little cleaning and send it to
you if you like.

Have Fun!