POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Convert strings to arrays? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Convert strings to arrays? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: SharkD
Subject: Convert strings to arrays?
Date: 28 Oct 2009 01:28:26
Message: <4ae7d67a@news.povray.org>
Is there a function I can use to convert a string into an array?

Thanks!

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Convert strings to arrays?
Date: 28 Oct 2009 02:15:00
Message: <web.4ae7e1404930f680f2ed51020@news.povray.org>
SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Is there a function I can use to convert a string into an array?

I once saw a trick in which some pov code wrote the string to a file and then
#include'd it back.  Might be a start.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Date: 28 Oct 2009 07:21:31
Message: <4ae8293b$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Is there a function I can use to convert a string into an array?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

I don't remember seeing a standard function, but it's quick to split a
string with the existing POVRay functions and a #while loop (see the 2
examples below).

If you want more sophisticated processing you'll find some macros in the
Scroll include file from the Object Collection that can left, right, centre
or full justify text strings.

Note that the examples below write the strings to the message stream and
produce only a completely black image.

Regards,
Chris B.

camera { location z look_at 0 }
light_source { <-5,30,-10> 1 }

#declare Str = "How many roads must a man walk down?";

// Convert string to array of single characters
#declare Arr = array[strlen(Str)];
#declare Ctr = 0;
#while (Ctr<strlen(Str))
  #declare Arr[Ctr] = substr(Str,Ctr+1,1);
  #debug concat(Arr[Ctr],"\n")
  #declare Ctr = Ctr+1;
#end

// Split string on spaces
#declare Arr = array[strlen(Str)];
#declare Ctr = 0;
#declare Pos = 1;
#declare Words = 0;
#while (Ctr<strlen(Str))
  #if (strcmp(substr(Str,Ctr+1,1)," ")=0)
    #declare Arr[Words] = substr(Str,Pos,Ctr-Pos+1)
    #declare Pos = Ctr+2;
    #debug concat(Arr[Words],"\n")
    #declare Words = Words+1;
  #end
  #declare Ctr = Ctr+1;
#end
#declare Arr[Words] = substr(Str,Pos,strlen(Str)-Pos+1)
#debug concat(Arr[Words],"\n")
#declare Words = Words+1;

Post a reply to this message

> I don't remember seeing a standard function, but it's quick to split a
> string with the existing POVRay functions and a #while loop (see the 2
> examples below).
>
> If you want more sophisticated processing you'll find some macros in the
> Scroll include file from the Object Collection that can left, right,
> centre or full justify text strings.
>
> Note that the examples below write the strings to the message stream and
> produce only a completely black image.
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

Nice tip, thanks!

Next question: How do I modify a one character text object such that the
character fits inside a 1x1x1 cube? (Note that I am working only with
single character strings, so I don't have to worry about what happens
with larger strings.)

Mike

Post a reply to this message