POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Convert strings to arrays? : Re: Convert strings to arrays? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Convert strings to arrays?
From: Chris B
Date: 29 Oct 2009 04:39:07
Message: <4ae954ab$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> Next question: How do I modify a one character text object such that the
> character fits inside a 1x1x1 cube? (Note that I am working only with
> single character strings, so I don't have to worry about what happens with
> larger strings.)

Assign a text object to an identifier, then use the min_extent and
max_extent functions to find the dimensions of the resulting object and
scale it accordingly as you add it to the scene:

#declare Letter = text {ttf "arial.ttf","~",1,0}

object {Letter
  translate -min_extent(Letter)
  scale 1/(max_extent(Letter)-min_extent(Letter))
  pigment {rgb <1,1,0>}
}

box {-0.001,1.001 pigment {rgbt 0.7}}

Though you don't need it to, this should work the same with a
multi-character string and should work reasonably well with a lot of other
POV-Ray objects to boot. These functions actually measure the bounding box
of the object, but I think that the bounding box aligns pretty well with the
actual extents of a text object (I didn't yet notice any big differences).
It doesn't align very well with certain CSG objects and I hate to think what
would happen with infinite objects such as planes :-)

Regards,
Chris B.