POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem shaping a CSG object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Problem shaping a CSG object (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Problem shaping a CSG object
Date: 29 Jul 2009 05:27:58
Message: <4a70161e@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I need a CSG object that basically has the shape of a cone, but with the
apex as a straight edge parallel to the base, with a length equal to the
diameter of the base. I tried all kinds of combinations but am unable to get
this right.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

--
All the best,

Thomas

"Sic vive, tanquam cras moriturus, sic stude, quasi semper victurus."
Desiderius Erasmus

Post a reply to this message

I doubt this can be done with a (finite) CSG.

Just for clarity, what you need is something like this?

isosurface {
  function { x*x + z*z*(1-y)*(1-y)/4 - (1-y)*(1-y)/4 }
  contained_by { box { -1, 1 } }
}

"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need a CSG object that basically has the shape of a cone, but with the
> apex as a straight edge parallel to the base, with a length equal to the
> diameter of the base. I tried all kinds of combinations but am unable to get
> this right.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
>
> --
> All the best,
>
> Thomas
>
> "Sic vive, tanquam cras moriturus, sic stude, quasi semper victurus."
> Desiderius Erasmus

Post a reply to this message

> I need a CSG object that basically has the shape of a cone, but with the
> apex as a straight edge parallel to the base, with a length equal to the
> diameter of the base. I tried all kinds of combinations but am unable to
> get this right.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
>
> --
> All the best,
>
> Thomas
>
> "Sic vive, tanquam cras moriturus, sic stude, quasi semper victurus."
> Desiderius Erasmus

An Isosurface is the easiest and quickest and is technically CSGable.
Otherwise you can get the same shape by taking slices of a squashed sphere.
Both are illustrated below. Turning up the interval for the slicing gives
smoother results, but less interesting render times.

Regards,
Chris B.

camera {location <-2, 2.5, -1.5> look_at <1,0.25,0>}
light_source {<2,20,-15> color rgb 1}

isosurface {
  function { (x*x*(y*y)+z*z-y*y)}
    accuracy 0.001
    max_gradient 4
    contained_by{box{<-1,-1,-1>,<1,0,1>}}
    pigment {rgb <1,1,0>}
    finish {phong 0.5 phong_size 10}
    translate y
    translate x*3
}

#local Interval = 0.05;
merge {
  #local I = 0;
  #while (I<1)
     intersection {
       sphere {0,1}
       box {<-1,0,-1><1,Interval,1>}
       scale z*(1-I)
       translate I*y
     }
     #local I = I+Interval;
  #end
  pigment {rgb 1}
}

Post a reply to this message

"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote in message

> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need a CSG object that basically has the shape of a cone, but with the
>> apex as a straight edge parallel to the base, with a length equal to the
>> diameter of the base. I tried all kinds of combinations but am unable to
>> get this right.
>>
>> Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
>
> An Isosurface is the easiest and quickest and is technically CSGable.
> Otherwise you can get the same shape by taking slices of a squashed
> sphere.
> Both are illustrated below. Turning up the interval for the slicing gives
> smoother results, but less interesting render times.
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

While making a cup of tea it just occurred to me that you can also do it
with two sheared cones and a filler:

#include "transforms.inc"
merge {
  cone {0,1,y,0 Shear_Trans(x,<-1,1,0>,z)}
  cone {0,1,y,0 Shear_Trans(x,< 1,1,0>,z)}
  intersection {
    plane {< 0, 1, 1>,0 translate y}
    plane {< 0, 1,-1>,0 translate y}
    plane {<-1,-1, 0>,0}
    plane {< 1,-1, 0>,0}
  }
  pigment {rgb 1}
}

Just goes to show that a good cup of tea can solve many problems  :-)

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message