POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem shaping a CSG object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Problem shaping a CSG object (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Problem shaping a CSG object
Date: 29 Jul 2009 12:32:04
Message: <4a707984@news.povray.org>
Le 29/07/2009 11:27, Thomas de Groot nous fit lire :
> Hi all,
>
> I need a CSG object that basically has the shape of a cone, but with the
> apex as a straight edge parallel to the base, with a length equal to the
> diameter of the base. I tried all kinds of combinations but am unable to get
> this right.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Can you check "apex as a straight edge *parallel* to the base."

apex is a point.
On standard "right circular" cone, the apex is projected on the center of the base
circle.

Your description seems to describe an oblique circular cone, whose apex is projected
on a
point of the base circle. Distance between projection plane and apex being diameter of
the
 circle.

You need a quadratic equation. Either as isosurface or quadric.
Isosurface has been provided, but a quadric might provide a different rendering time,
bounded by a unit box.

A x2 + B y2 + C z2 + D xy + E xz + F yz + G x + H y + I z + J = 0

A centered circle on <0,0,0>, radius 1: A=B=1, J=-1; D=0; G=0; H=0;
symetry implies E=0;

Remains C,F,I
with apex on <0,1,2>:
0+1+4C +2F+2I-1=0
4C+2F+2I=0

Also <0,1,1> on surface.
0+1+C+F+I-1=0
C+F+I=0
therefore C=0;
and F=-I

<0,0,1> also on surface
I-1=0 so I=1

intersection {
box{ <-1,-1,0>,<1,1,2> }
quadric { <1,1,0>,<0,0,-1>,<0,0,1>,-1}
}

have a nice day.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 29 Jul 2009 12:40:00
Message: <web.4a707ac99ce95c17edb9d8df0@news.povray.org>
> I was thinking more scale it from x=1.0 y=1.0 to x=1.0 y=0.0 as you move
> from z=0 to z=1, if that makes sense. Not an intersection, but a non-linear
> scaling.

Here's the catch: You can't do non-linear scaling in POV-Ray (unless you use
parametrics, isosurfaces or some such).

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 Jul 2009 12:56:40
Message: <4a707f48$1@news.povray.org>
Further thinking about your description, if apex really a segment parallel to base:

check volume 3 of news://news.povray.org:119/496f790c@news.povray.org
(title: "6 volumes" OP: Le_Forgeron, Date 15 january 2009)

It's a conocuneus, a quartic.
Toothpath tube classical end.

intersection {
box {<0,-1,-1><2,1,1>}
quartic {
  <0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,1,0,-1,
   0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,
   0,0,0,0,0, 4,0,0,0,0,
   0,0,0,0,0> }
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Date: 29 Jul 2009 13:00:43
Message: <4a70803b@news.povray.org>
> clipka wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> Could one start with a cylinder instead? Since the top is as wide as the
>>> bottom in at least one direction?
>>
>> Hm, yes, I guess a cylinder intersected with a wedge would fit Thomas'
>> bill, too
>> (at least nominally, though it may not be what he looked for, due to the
>> hard
>> edges this would produce)
>
> I was thinking more scale it from x=1.0 y=1.0 to x=1.0 y=0.0 as you move
> from z=0 to z=1, if that makes sense. Not an intersection, but a
> non-linear scaling.

That's what two of the three examples I posted this morning do, one using an
Isosurface, the other using slices of a sphere, (but a cylinder would work
the same). The third example I posted used the method Clipka outlined, which
generates a slightly different shaped surface.

I think there is at least one more way without using shear, which is to
scale a cone non uniformly, rotate and slice it, such that the horizontal
section becomes circular while the edge is vertical, then fill out the
middle as before.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Date: 29 Jul 2009 13:31:52
Message: <4a708788@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote in message

> I think there is at least one more way without using shear, which is to
> scale a cone non uniformly, rotate and slice it, such that the horizontal
> section becomes circular while the edge is vertical, then fill out the
> middle as before.

In fact I've tried it and I don't think my fourth way works because you
always end up with a parabolic conic section.
Nevertheless, Le Forgeron looks as though he's still churning out more
alternatives :-)
Geometry questions seem popular. Any more ;)

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Jul 2009 05:38:22
Message: <4a716a0e@news.povray.org>
Toothpaste tube end indeed covers the bill  :-)

Thomas

"Le_Forgeron" <jgr### [at] freefr> schreef in bericht
> Further thinking about your description, if apex really a segment parallel
> to base:
>
> check volume 3 of news://news.povray.org:119/496f790c@news.povray.org
> (title: "6 volumes" OP: Le_Forgeron, Date 15 january 2009)
>
> It's a conocuneus, a quartic.
> Toothpath tube classical end.
>
> intersection {
> box {<0,-1,-1><2,1,1>}
> quartic {
>  <0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,1,0,-1,
>   0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,
>   0,0,0,0,0, 4,0,0,0,0,
>   0,0,0,0,0> }
> }

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Jul 2009 05:43:45
Message: <4a716b51$1@news.povray.org>
"Le_Forgeron" <jgr### [at] freefr> schreef in bericht
> It's a conocuneus, a quartic.
> Toothpath tube classical end.
>
> intersection {
> box {<0,-1,-1><2,1,1>}
> quartic {
>  <0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,1,0,-1,
>   0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,
>   0,0,0,0,0, 4,0,0,0,0,
>   0,0,0,0,0> }
> }

This is now the most elegant solution. Thanks a lot!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Aug 2009 04:17:33
Message: <4a7d349d$1@news.povray.org>
"Le_Forgeron" <jgr### [at] freefr> schreef in bericht
> Further thinking about your description, if apex really a segment parallel
> to base:
>
> check volume 3 of news://news.povray.org:119/496f790c@news.povray.org
> (title: "6 volumes" OP: Le_Forgeron, Date 15 january 2009)

Maybe me, but this reference is not pointing to anything on news.povray.org

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Aug 2009 03:28:54
Message: <4a7fcc36$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> schreef in bericht

> "Le_Forgeron" <jgr### [at] freefr> schreef in bericht
>> check volume 3 of news://news.povray.org:119/496f790c@news.povray.org
>> (title: "6 volumes" OP: Le_Forgeron, Date 15 january 2009)

Seriously, I cannot find any message related to this on the server in any
n.g. (I used Search). Neither title nor date refer to a message. Any help?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Date: 10 Aug 2009 04:50:58
Message: <4a7fdf72$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message

> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> schreef in bericht
>>
>> "Le_Forgeron" <jgr### [at] freefr> schreef in bericht
>>> check volume 3 of news://news.povray.org:119/496f790c@news.povray.org
>>> (title: "6 volumes" OP: Le_Forgeron, Date 15 january 2009)
>>

> Seriously, I cannot find any message related to this on the server in any
> n.g. (I used Search). Neither title nor date refer to a message. Any help?
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas.