POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Software: About: Slogan Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:29:12 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Software: About: Slogan (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: POV-Ray Software: About: Slogan
Date: 1 Feb 2008 02:50:59
Message: <47a2cf63@news.povray.org>
Hi.

I am making herewith the request to use some slogan like the following one,
in order to show the spirit of the render software POV-Ray (will become 20
years old in 2009!!!):

"Virtual Reality, the final frontier. These are the calculations of the
raytracer POV-Ray. Its nineteen-year mission: To explore virtual new worlds.
To seek out virtual life and virtual art. To boldly go where no render
program has gone before." That should be displayed inside the ABOUT box.

ORIGINAL
Starship Enterprise (Star Trek):
"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship
Enterprise. Its five-year mission: To explore strange new worlds. To seek
out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone
before."

Yes, I mean it. I am not even a "trekkie", but I like the spirit of the
entire series (not their special effects or starship designs). It was Star
Trek, where there was the first kiss between white and black on celluloid.
And it seems, Star Trek has some deeper influence. Yesterday and today. And
that all is, why I have no problem to adapt a slogan quite similar to
theirs. POV-Ray IS all about new worlds (the virtual ones). Through POV-Ray
scenes, we express ourselfs in new ways, and might have a tool to connect to
the minds (and fantasies) of others.

And I am sure, when the first kiss between a human and an alien happens,
David Kirk Buck, Aaron Collins or Christopher Cason or any other of the
long-eared, deeply logically thinking POV programmers will appear from
behind some corner, and try to teach the alien the way how to use POV-Ray...

Sven

Post a reply to this message