POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? (Message 1 to 10 of 54)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene?
Date: 26 Jan 2008 19:10:37
Message: <479bcbfd@news.povray.org>
Hi.

I have a scene, which already takes around 6 days to create the photon map
for, if it is done in the same resolution like the remaining scene.

I would like to know, if it is possible to use a lower resolution (let's
say: 400x300) for the photon map (with the "save_file" option enabled), and
then to stop and continue the scene in a high resolution (now with the
"load_file" option enabled).

Sven

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to know, if it is possible to use a lower resolution (let's
> say: 400x300) for the photon map (with the "save_file" option enabled), and
> then to stop and continue the scene in a high resolution (now with the
> "load_file" option enabled).

It's possible. The photon map is independent from the image resolution.

Which also means that calculating the photon map when rendering at
400x300 will take exactly the same time as any other higher resolution.

Post a reply to this message

> I have a scene, which already takes around 6 days to create the photon map
> for, if it is done in the same resolution like the remaining scene.
>
> I would like to know, if it is possible to use a lower resolution (let's
> say: 400x300) for the photon map (with the "save_file" option enabled), and
> then to stop and continue the scene in a high resolution (now with the
> "load_file" option enabled).

Sure, I do it myself.  However, since the photon map is independent from
the scene resolution, you can set the image size absurdly low (like +w1
+h1) and still get a full-quality photon map.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

but even so, based on what I heard already, meanwhile, the photon map would
still take 6 days, right?

Sven

"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Sven Littkowski wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a scene, which already takes around 6 days to create the photon
>> map for, if it is done in the same resolution like the remaining scene.
>>
>> I would like to know, if it is possible to use a lower resolution (let's
>> say: 400x300) for the photon map (with the "save_file" option enabled),
>> and then to stop and continue the scene in a high resolution (now with
>> the "load_file" option enabled).
>
> Sure, I do it myself.  However, since the photon map is independent from
> the scene resolution, you can set the image size absurdly low (like +w1
> +h1) and still get a full-quality photon map.
>
> --
> ...Ben Chambers
> www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

try using image_width to choose the photon count/spacing
Sven Littkowski napsal(a):
> Hi Ben,
>
> but even so, based on what I heard already, meanwhile, the photon map would
> still take 6 days, right?
>
> Sven
>

> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Sven Littkowski wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have a scene, which already takes around 6 days to create the photon
>>> map for, if it is done in the same resolution like the remaining scene.
>>>
>>> I would like to know, if it is possible to use a lower resolution (let's
>>> say: 400x300) for the photon map (with the "save_file" option enabled),
>>> and then to stop and continue the scene in a high resolution (now with
>>> the "load_file" option enabled).
>> Sure, I do it myself.  However, since the photon map is independent from
>> the scene resolution, you can set the image size absurdly low (like +w1
>> +h1) and still get a full-quality photon map.
>>
>> --
>> ...Ben Chambers
>> www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message