POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? : Re: Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene?
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 27 Jan 2008 21:50:18
Message: <479d42ea$1@news.povray.org>
[Posting to newsgroup since other people may be interested]

Now that you sent me the files... The scene is quite slow to render
(55pps) even without radiosity or photons. I tried with photons, and
there were very long periods where the "photons shot" counter didn't
change, which could mean POV-Ray is shooting lots of photons but
"missing the object".

What I'm suspecting is that POV-Ray is creating sub-optimal bounding
boxes. I see a lot of difference objects on your scene. POV-Ray
sometimes does a bad job bounding difference/intersection CSG.

I'm now rendering a 160x120 image to see the raytrace statistics at the
end, and see if there were a lot of misses or not. Stay tuned...