POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? (Message 51 to 54 of 54)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene?
Date: 1 Feb 2008 12:19:51
Message: <47a354b7@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 00:55:51 -0500, Sven Littkowski wrote:

> Hmm, sounds like it is made for Linux only.

No, it's a hardware-level implementation used by more than just Linux.  I
just happen to use Linux almost exclusively, so I haven't run into it
with other OSes.  For example, NetWare 5.1 (or maybe 6) required machines
that had PAE functionality, even if the machine had no memory over 4 GB.

Which meant the minimum requirement was a Pentium Pro or P-II, the first
platform that introduced PAE.  It's been around for a long time.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Ah... Thanks, Jim. Good knowledge you got there.

But that means, ifit is not some software solution, I can't get it for my
current system. A pity.

Thanks a lot,

Sven

"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 00:55:51 -0500, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>
>> Hmm, sounds like it is made for Linux only.
>
> No, it's a hardware-level implementation used by more than just Linux.  I
> just happen to use Linux almost exclusively, so I haven't run into it
> with other OSes.  For example, NetWare 5.1 (or maybe 6) required machines
> that had PAE functionality, even if the machine had no memory over 4 GB.
>
> Which meant the minimum requirement was a Pentium Pro or P-II, the first
> platform that introduced PAE.  It's been around for a long time.
>
> Jim

Post a reply to this message