POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? (Message 41 to 50 of 54)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene?
Date: 31 Jan 2008 06:00:00
Message: <web.47a1a928af2cf5028552b650@news.povray.org>
Ger <No.### [at] ThankYou> wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
> > Been there, done that, crashed my PC at 2Gb utilized by POV-Ray alone :)
> >
> > Note to self: 3Gb in your system doesn't get around the fact that most
> > XP programs are only able to address 2...
> >
> Addendum to note: Having 8GB in your system doesn't prevent Povray from
> still having to use the swap space.

you guys are nuts! :P

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 31 Jan 2008 10:36:48
Message: <47a1eb10$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers, Ger:

Thanks for that information. I thought until now, the operating system
handles the RAM, and the programs just forward their RAM requests to Windows
which would give them, what they need.

I don't knew that programs self address the RAM.

Bad to hear that software developers don't want to work with higher RAM
addresses. Thought, if RAM is available, the programs could reach it
dynamically, independent from intented borderlines (2 GB).

Thanks for the information, greetings,

Sven

"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> nemesis wrote:
>> "Sven Littkowski" <sven [] jamaica-focus [] com> wrote:
>>> You passed the crash borderline and are on unknown ground now.
>>
>> Corageosly going where no other raytracer ever dared...
>>
>>> That will
>>> become the mother of all photon map files!
>>
>> ah, the 1 GB photon map!
>
> Been there, done that, crashed my PC at 2Gb utilized by POV-Ray alone :)
>
> Note to self: 3Gb in your system doesn't get around the fact that most XP
> programs are only able to address 2...
>
> --
> ...Ben Chambers
> www.pacificwebguy.com