POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  A new SDL Idea (Message 51 to 60 of 118)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: A new SDL Idea
Date: 4 Oct 2007 17:35:00
Message: <web.47055ba7bcc3cc02773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   A precompiled library alone is useless in C/C++. You need the non-compiled
> public interface to use the library.

That's a problem with C/C++ and their reliance on header files for function
prototypes AFAIK.  Besides, even then, with documentation about functions
written in other languages, even in a C/C++ enviroment you can call these:
just write the proper header files by prototyping the functions as
documented.

Say you write a class in JRuby and bytecompile it.  You can use that class
from a regular Java problem without worries.

> It must
> be usable from POV-Ray directly, using its native scripting language.
> How are you going to use it without an interface?

I agree povray *must* have its own scripting language.  And if it's JITted,
only the better.  I was just pointing out that it is possible to interface
with compiled code given a common binary format, documentation and support
from the infrastructure (compilers, linkers, runtime).

Post a reply to this message