POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:14:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Oct 2007 20:48:35
Message: <470589e3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Rather than have an entire CLR, you could have the program structured to
>> have C libraries (or C++ classes, I suppose), and clearly document how
>> they're used. Then the SDL parser would invoke constructors building the
>> classes, then invoke the "render" method.
>
>   That would mean that 1% of the povray community could benefit from that,

The point of doing it that way would primarily be to allow those writing
the SDL to use one of the many languages that already exist to avoid
having to reimplement anything in the SDL except the ray-tracing. Need
formatted input/output? Need to read CSV files? Want to store objects or
libraries in a database, or in google-file-system? Want to send a
message over a socket each time a frame finishes? If you use an existing
language that can interface to C, like Java, Tcl, Python, Lisp, etc etc
etc, you get all that sort of stuff "for free". Of course, munging your
SDL syntax to match the language you pick can be a bit problematic, but
it's not *that* hard to solve, especially if you pick an appropriate
"base" langauge.

Hope that clarifies.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)