POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Status of Moray? Server Time
17 May 2024 00:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Status of Moray? (Message 31 to 40 of 466)
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Subject: Re: Status of Moray?
Date: 8 Sep 2007 02:46:17
Message: <46e24539$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 8 Sep 2007 14:17:23
Message: <46e2e733@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> hmm, I have some C coding skills, but I guess the main problem is not C
> coding, but 3D algorithms and understanding the SDL parser...

C coding with a basic understanding of C++ would probably be sufficient for
many of the tasks in re-writing the code that has to be replaced. Recall that
all the POV code was originally c, and the fundamental core of the algorithms
and objects are still readable by a C programmer.

The re-write basically involves reading and understanding an existing
function (or group of related functions), and writing a clean version to
replace it.

One way to approach it (and one that I would favour) would be for one group
of people to reverse-engineer the functionality into pseudo-code or similar,
and for another group to then take that and write new code. This helps to
ensure that the new code does not inadvertently copy from the old.

Whichever way it's done, those involved will get a real sense of satisfaction
as each bit is done and plugged back into the program - given a working
infrastructure such as we will have, it will in many cases be possible to see
immediate results as things are turned back on. [This will depend mainly on
the order in which things are done].

Plus there's always the community and primary developers available to guide
things. And anyone who is working on the code actively is welcome to IM me
any time for assistance.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message