POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Status of Moray? : Re: Status of Moray? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 06:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Status of Moray?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 8 Sep 2007 14:22:59
Message: <46e2e883$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Does this mean that 4.0 will *not* have any kind of revised SDL language?

I have to be realistic here and take the approach that attempting to write a
new SDL prior to releasing the tree for folks to work on would not be
practical. On the other hand, the existing parser has to be replaced since it
is fairly cumbersome and hard to maintain.

The fact is that once we are done, it will be possible to have any number of
parsers that interface to the rendering engine; whatever we put into the tree
for initial development will only be one of them (and most likely not the
final). Once we've got some momentum and reasonable functionality in the re-
development of the rendering core, I expect more attention can be paid to the
parser.

Of course, there's nothing to stop people discussing and perhaps designing a
new SDL in advance - and perhaps even prototyping it in a stand-along app
(e.g. perhaps something that spits out POV 3.x code).

-- Chris