POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : random-generator-bug ? speckled photon-mapping Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  random-generator-bug ? speckled photon-mapping (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: chefboss
Subject: random-generator-bug ? speckled photon-mapping
Date: 18 Aug 2007 14:25:00
Message: <web.46c7386b86ebcca6f43f7c30@news.povray.org>
When rendering a test-scene,
http://www.manganese-blue.com/povrandombug/test.pov ,
containing a sphere with refraction-index so that the focal point is near
the surface, the transmitted light appears speckled, no matter how many
photons I use.
The ready-rendered pics and the testfiles (since I may not upload anything
here)
are under
    http://manganese-blue.com/index.php?main_page=page_2

To me it seems like the random-generator were not so random, the effect
beeing amplified by the close-to-the-surface focal-point of the sphere.

I have examined the source, and it seems that the standard-c
"rand()"-function is used; unfortunately on my debian/etch the source does
not compile right (see 2 or 3 threads below), and I'm not a c-guru either.
So I did _not_ succeed in compiling-in other random-generators for testing

But I played around with the rand()-function, and it really seems to be not
equally distributed in some ways, but I'm still experimenting on that right
now.

So: How about the effect from above ?

Post a reply to this message