POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : random-generator-bug ? speckled photon-mapping : Re: random-generator-bug ? speckled photon-mapping Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random-generator-bug ? speckled photon-mapping
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 18 Aug 2007 17:04:53
Message: <46c75ef5$1@news.povray.org>
chefboss wrote:

> To me it seems like the random-generator were not so random, the effect
> beeing amplified by the close-to-the-surface focal-point of the sphere.

I don't think it's random, the photons will be shot in spirals at the
target object. With the extreme ior, it is probable that this may cause
a distinct pattern in areas where the photons are spread thinly. To get
rid of this would require to really crank up the number of photons.

Looks ok with 2.000.000 photons here (but slow). The behavior is
actually rather strange, even 1.000.000 photons render instantly
and the result is crap, 1.500.000 photons take ages and look ok.
It's not the memory usage. I wonder what happens internally.