POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh Subdivision? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh Subdivision? (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Jesse Connell
Subject: Re: Mesh Subdivision?
Date: 17 Aug 2007 11:38:42
Message: <46c5c102$1@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> Jesse Connell wrote:
>> What (I think) I'd like to do is split the elements of my mesh into many
>> more elements and smooth it out. I've found a few sets of macros and
>> things for doing this, like the "New Surface Subdivision Suite" (
>> http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm ) and "POV-Ray with
>> Subdivision". They all seem to be unmaintained, though, or at least very
>> out of date.
>
> Jesse,
> Last time I tried the NSSS macros they worked very well, so I don't
> think that the suite needs much maintenance at the moment.
>
> Here's some images I rendered with NSSS (and some macros of my own):
> http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray/Mesh-Moebius_Band.jpg

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C41450e47%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4131f02f%40news.povray.org%3E/

OK, thanks. I thought that might be the case. Glad to hear from someone
who's used it. Like you say, it looks like it works pretty well!

Jesse

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 17 Aug 2007 16:19:55
Message: <46c602eb@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> Jesse Connell wrote:
>
>>What (I think) I'd like to do is split the elements of my mesh into many
>>more elements and smooth it out. I've found a few sets of macros and
>>things for doing this, like the "New Surface Subdivision Suite" (
>>http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm ) and "POV-Ray with
>>Subdivision". They all seem to be unmaintained, though, or at least very
>>out of date.
>
> Last time I tried the NSSS macros they worked very well, so I don't
> think that the suite needs much maintenance at the moment.

Maintenance happens when the maintainer is told there is a bug.  That
hasn't happened in a while (almost three years), so there's been no need
for updates.

At the moment I am upgrading my modeler to use polygons with more than
four sides, and I'm rewriting my macro suite to go with it.  There will
be an appropriate announcement when it's ready to be seen in public.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

>>> What (I think) I'd like to do is split the elements of my mesh into many
>>> more elements and smooth it out. I've found a few sets of macros and
>>> things for doing this, like the "New Surface Subdivision Suite" (
>>> http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm ) and "POV-Ray with
>>> Subdivision". They all seem to be unmaintained, though, or at least very
>>> out of date.
>>
>> Last time I tried the NSSS macros they worked very well, so I don't
>> think that the suite needs much maintenance at the moment.
>
> Maintenance happens when the maintainer is told there is a bug.  That
> hasn't happened in a while (almost three years), so there's been no need
> for updates.
>
> At the moment I am upgrading my modeler to use polygons with more than
> four sides, and I'm rewriting my macro suite to go with it.  There will
> be an appropriate announcement when it's ready to be seen in public.
>
> Regards,
> John

I've ended up putting my meshes through the NSSS macros, and they're
working great for me. Thanks for quelling my fears about maintenance; it
looks like I spoke too soon in my first post.

Jesse