POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source Server Time
2 May 2024 19:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source (Message 49 to 58 of 58)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as OpenSource
Date: 15 Feb 2007 11:54:42
Message: <45d49052@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   "I used this solution and it proved to be very fast" is not a proof
> of anything relevant. It only proves that that specific solution is fast.
> It doesn't prove that other more flexible solutions are not equally fast.

If you think scalability is not a sign of quality, I can't help you.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Feb 2007 11:57:58
Message: <45d49116$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> You *can* make it work, mind, but it
> can be harder than if you're using a less-data-driven type of parser.

Exactly my point.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 15 Feb 2007 11:58:01
Message: <45d49118@news.povray.org>
> Or not even that, if you're using a language with reflection. ;-) It's
> exactly the kind of extensibility that Warp is talking about that
> frustrates me so much trying to do big programs in C or C++, with no
> programmatic access to the code I wrote myself. Why should I have to
> tell the compiler *and* the application what the name of the class I
> just added is? :-)

  It's not like you couldn't "plug in" new modules at runtime.
I was simply thinking about compile-time efficiency. But if you
really *want* to, you can make the generic parser in such way
that you don't have to modify anything at all in its source code
in order to add new modules to it (just register some base class
type pointers at runtime).
  I believe some libraries actually work like that.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message