POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source : Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as OpenSource Server Time
17 May 2024 03:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as OpenSource
From: Warp
Date: 15 Feb 2007 11:58:01
Message: <45d49118@news.povray.org>
> Or not even that, if you're using a language with reflection. ;-) It's
> exactly the kind of extensibility that Warp is talking about that
> frustrates me so much trying to do big programs in C or C++, with no
> programmatic access to the code I wrote myself. Why should I have to
> tell the compiler *and* the application what the name of the class I
> just added is? :-)

  It's not like you couldn't "plug in" new modules at runtime.
I was simply thinking about compile-time efficiency. But if you
really *want* to, you can make the generic parser in such way
that you don't have to modify anything at all in its source code
in order to add new modules to it (just register some base class
type pointers at runtime).
  I believe some libraries actually work like that.

--
                                                          - Warp