POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BIG Newsgroup Spam Problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  BIG Newsgroup Spam Problem (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: BIG Newsgroup Spam Problem
Date: 19 Nov 2006 10:45:22
Message: <45607c12@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone.

Since many months I recognize a big security problem with the POV-Ray
newsgroups, and decided to talk about, in order to have that big security
problem fixed.

Anyone who is posting a thread here, is also automatically adding his e-mail
address to his/her thread. It would be fine if the e-mail address could be
altered by some server-side script (PHP or whatever) in order to prevent
that e-mail search engines of spammers can mis-use the e-mail addresses the
threads contain.

I am getting each month more than 1,000 (!) spam e-mails since I am posting
here! Not only caused by this website, but among other newsgroups websites I
am participating. But most alter the e-mail address of a participant to
something e-mail search engines cannot identify anymore as e-mail address.

An example: Such a server-side PHP script could use
str_replace("@","[]",$Posting)
and
str_replace(".","[]",$Posting)
to make the e-mail addresses unusable for those spammers. Such a modified
e-mail address would then look like that:
"Sven[]yahoo[]com"

Of course, this is just a simple example. Other variants are possible. A
human can always correct the e-mail address if (s)he desires to send a
message directly to a person who posted here.

Greetings,

Sven

Post a reply to this message

Sven Littkowski <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Anyone who is posting a thread here, is also automatically adding his e-mail
> address to his/her thread.

  Nobody forces you to configure your newsreader to send your true email
address.
  For example my address in this post, while valid, is not the adress of
this computer I'm posting from.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Anyone who is posting a thread here, is also automatically adding his e-mail
> address to his/her thread. It would be fine if the e-mail address could be
> altered by some server-side script (PHP or whatever) in order to prevent
> that e-mail search engines of spammers can mis-use the e-mail addresses the
> threads contain.
>
> I am getting each month more than 1,000 (!) spam e-mails since I am posting
> here! Not only caused by this website, but among other newsgroups websites I
> am participating. But most alter the e-mail address of a participant to
> something e-mail search engines cannot identify anymore as e-mail address.
>
> An example: Such a server-side PHP script could use
> str_replace("@","[]",$Posting)
> and
> str_replace(".","[]",$Posting)
> to make the e-mail addresses unusable for those spammers. Such a modified
> e-mail address would then look like that:
> "Sven[]yahoo[]com"

email addresses in the web view are obfuscated.

Post a reply to this message

> Anyone who is posting a thread here, is also automatically adding his e-mail
> address to his/her thread.

Like Warp said, the address doesn't need to be valid. Check mine, it's a
fully working one, but scrambled to avoid spam (still easy for human to
resolve).

> I am getting each month more than 1,000 (!) spam e-mails since I am posting
> here! Not only caused by this website, but among other newsgroups websites I
> am participating. But most alter the e-mail address of a participant to
> something e-mail search engines cannot identify anymore as e-mail address.

Hmm, I couldn't find your email address as a valid one from the webpage.
Via newsreader I did, in Warps message.

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C45607c12%40news.povray.org%3E/

> An example: Such a server-side PHP script could use
> str_replace("@","[]",$Posting)
> and
> str_replace(".","[]",$Posting)
> to make the e-mail addresses unusable for those spammers. Such a modified
> e-mail address would then look like that:
> "Sven[]yahoo[]com"

The page does this (or at least someting does): "en [at] jam". Just to
note it's usually better to still make a difference between @ and .,
while aero[]pov[]zbxt[]net might be "@.." or ".@.", just for example.

> Of course, this is just a simple example. Other variants are possible. A
> human can always correct the e-mail address if (s)he desires to send a
> message directly to a person who posted here.

Yep. I'm paranoid enough to scramble my address before posting ;).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

Sven Littkowski nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 19/11/2006 10:45:
> Hi everyone.

> Since many months I recognize a big security problem with the POV-Ray
> newsgroups, and decided to talk about, in order to have that big security
> problem fixed.

> Anyone who is posting a thread here, is also automatically adding his e-mail
> address to his/her thread. It would be fine if the e-mail address could be
> altered by some server-side script (PHP or whatever) in order to prevent
> that e-mail search engines of spammers can mis-use the e-mail addresses the
> threads contain.

> I am getting each month more than 1,000 (!) spam e-mails since I am posting
> here! Not only caused by this website, but among other newsgroups websites I
> am participating. But most alter the e-mail address of a participant to
> something e-mail search engines cannot identify anymore as e-mail address.

> An example: Such a server-side PHP script could use
> str_replace("@","[]",$Posting)
> and
> str_replace(".","[]",$Posting)
> to make the e-mail addresses unusable for those spammers. Such a modified
> e-mail address would then look like that:
> "Sven[]yahoo[]com"

> Of course, this is just a simple example. Other variants are possible. A
> human can always correct the e-mail address if (s)he desires to send a
> message directly to a person who posted here.

> Greetings,

> Sven

Anybody who configure his news acount with his real, un-obfuscated address is
just asking to get spammed. My address *looks* OK, but there is an added DOT "."
in my name. Remove it and you can send me mail, keep it, and the mail bounces.
Take note that news posting are keept FOREVER on google archives. I've found my
firsts news posts there, they date back to 1997, with a real address.

--
Alain
The last person that quit or was fired will be held responsible for  everything

Post a reply to this message