POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BIG Newsgroup Spam Problem : Re: BIG Newsgroup Spam Problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BIG Newsgroup Spam Problem
From: Alain
Date: 19 Nov 2006 13:19:27
Message: <4560a02f$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 19/11/2006 10:45:
> Hi everyone.

> Since many months I recognize a big security problem with the POV-Ray
> newsgroups, and decided to talk about, in order to have that big security
> problem fixed.

> Anyone who is posting a thread here, is also automatically adding his e-mail
> address to his/her thread. It would be fine if the e-mail address could be
> altered by some server-side script (PHP or whatever) in order to prevent
> that e-mail search engines of spammers can mis-use the e-mail addresses the
> threads contain.

> I am getting each month more than 1,000 (!) spam e-mails since I am posting
> here! Not only caused by this website, but among other newsgroups websites I
> am participating. But most alter the e-mail address of a participant to
> something e-mail search engines cannot identify anymore as e-mail address.

> An example: Such a server-side PHP script could use
> str_replace("@","[]",$Posting)
> and
> str_replace(".","[]",$Posting)
> to make the e-mail addresses unusable for those spammers. Such a modified
> e-mail address would then look like that:
> "Sven[]yahoo[]com"

> Of course, this is just a simple example. Other variants are possible. A
> human can always correct the e-mail address if (s)he desires to send a
> message directly to a person who posted here.

> Greetings,

> Sven

Anybody who configure his news acount with his real, un-obfuscated address is
just asking to get spammed. My address *looks* OK, but there is an added DOT "."
in my name. Remove it and you can send me mail, keep it, and the mail bounces.
Take note that news posting are keept FOREVER on google archives. I've found my
firsts news posts there, they date back to 1997, with a real address.

--
Alain
The last person that quit or was fired will be held responsible for  everything