POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vectoring Warp Turbulence Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Vectoring Warp Turbulence (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: POVMAN
Subject: Vectoring Warp Turbulence
Date: 31 May 2006 06:09:47
Message: <447d6b6b$1@news.povray.org>
I was wondering if anyone knows how to vector the effects of Warp in a
single directtion.

For instance, if I use "warp { turbulence <0,1,0> } the warp pushes in both
+x and -x, is there anyway to push only in the +x direction?

--
#####-----#####-----#####
POV Tips and Hints at ...

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering if anyone knows how to vector the effects of Warp in a
> single directtion.
I think most of the POV team has been trying to vector Warp's efforts in
a single direction for some years, but he's far more stubborn than that.

:->

--
"It is  inconsistent with the  most rudimentary  notions  of fairness to
blindfold a man and then impose a standard  which only the sighted could

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 31 May 2006 11:03:58
Message: <447db05e$1@news.povray.org>
Daniel Hulme wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone knows how to vector the effects of Warp in a
>> single directtion.
> I think most of the POV team has been trying to vector Warp's efforts in
> a single direction for some years, but he's far more stubborn than that.

Strange, I was thinking the same thing...

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Date: 7 Jun 2006 09:19:38
Message: <4486d26a$1@news.povray.org>
POVMAN wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to vector the effects of Warp in a
> single directtion.
>
> For instance, if I use "warp { turbulence <0,1,0> } the warp pushes
> in both +x and -x, is there anyway to push only in the +x direction?

I assume you mean -y and +y for a turbulence of <0,1,0>.

But anyway, isn't what you're asking for equivalent to using turbulence plus
translation?

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

From: POVMAN
Date: 7 Jun 2006 10:07:00
Message: <4486dd84$1@news.povray.org>
> I assume you mean -y and +y for a turbulence of <0,1,0>.
>
> But anyway, isn't what you're asking for equivalent to using turbulence
> plus translation?

I see that I'm not making myself clear, and yes I meant -y +y.  ( perhaps I
should re-read these before posting sometimes)

Imagine a spherical pattern, apply warp <0,1,0>.  Some of the disturbed
pattern appears above the original sphere, but some also appears below the
sphere. What I would like is to push the the disturbance in only the +y
direction.

--
#####-----#####-----#####
POV Tips and Hints at ...

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Date: 7 Jun 2006 10:20:23
Message: <4486e0a7@news.povray.org>
POVMAN wrote:
>> I assume you mean -y and +y for a turbulence of <0,1,0>.
>>
>> But anyway, isn't what you're asking for equivalent to using
>> turbulence plus translation?
>
> I see that I'm not making myself clear, and yes I meant -y +y.  (
> perhaps I should re-read these before posting sometimes)
>
> Imagine a spherical pattern, apply warp <0,1,0>.  Some of the
> disturbed pattern appears above the original sphere, but some also
> appears below the sphere. What I would like is to push the the
> disturbance in only the +y direction.

Yes. So apply warp <0,0.5,0> only and then translate by <0,0.5,0> or
whatever is needed to make sure that none of the disturbances remain
negative.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com