POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slicing a spherical imagemap Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Slicing a spherical imagemap (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Brooks Boyd
Subject: Slicing a spherical imagemap
Date: 6 Jun 2005 14:09:34
Message: <42a4915e$1@news.povray.org>
I have an image of a sphere I'm trying to render, but the outer surface
of the sphere is an image map (tiff), and the scene calls to cut the
sphere to show a cutaway. Now, I'd like the cut edge to show the same
color as the surface of the sphere along the same radius as the point
(just like rendering a sphere of a smaller diameter with the same
texture map). But when I difference{} the sphere with a box, the cut
edge is opaque black (which looks really odd, since the sphere has a
slight transmit/filter texture). Is there a way to get the image map to
be not just a 'skin' on the surface of the sphere when cut, but to
penetrate down into it?

Post a reply to this message

"Brooks Boyd" <boy### [at] midnightdesignhqcom> wrote in message
>I have an image of a sphere I'm trying to render, but the outer surface of
>the sphere is an image map (tiff), and the scene calls to cut the sphere to
>show a cutaway. Now, I'd like the cut edge to show the same color as the
>surface of the sphere along the same radius as the point (just like
>rendering a sphere of a smaller diameter with the same texture map). But
>when I difference{} the sphere with a box, the cut edge is opaque black

Put the pigment (or texture) with the image_map into the difference
statement instead of only the sphere and it will appear all the way to
center.

Bob Hughes

Post a reply to this message

> Put the pigment (or texture) with the image_map into the difference
> statement instead of only the sphere and it will appear all the way to
> center.
>
> Bob Hughes

Ooo, thanks; that worked!