POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Grads to pov trig funcs - 57.3 where? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Grads to pov trig funcs - 57.3 where? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Grads to pov trig funcs - 57.3 where?
Date: 19 May 2005 18:30:08
Message: <428d136f@news.povray.org>
Hi guys

Is the correct povray representation of the top two formulas at

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Spirograph.html

#while (my_degrees < 360)

        #declare x_loc = (radius_fixed + radius_rotating) * cos(my_degrees / 57.3)
-
        (radius_rotating + spiro_offset) * cos(((((radius_fixed + radius_rotating)
/
        radius_rotating)) * my_degrees) / 57.3);

        //#debug concat("X:" , str(x_loc,3,3) "\n")

        #declare y_loc = (radius_fixed + radius_rotating) * sin(my_degrees / 57.3)
-
        (radius_rotating + spiro_offset) * sin(((((radius_fixed + radius_rotating)
/
        radius_rotating)) * my_degrees) / 57.3);

        //#debug concat("Y:" , str(y_loc,3,3) "\n")

        sphere
        {
                <x_loc,y_loc,0>,0.25
                material
                {
                        texture
                        {
                                pigment
                                {
                                        color Red
                                }
                        }
                }
        }

        #declare my_degrees = my_degrees + 0.5;
#end

as regards the conversion of degrees to radians in order to use Povray's sin
and cos functions (which work with radians?)

I must be doing something wrong - the shapes look "sincos - like" but not
like those on the spirograph page...

Any help appreciated!

--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Post a reply to this message