POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : default media setting inconsistancies (?) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:12:33 EDT (-0400)
  default media setting inconsistancies (?) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Abe
Subject: default media setting inconsistancies (?)
Date: 27 Dec 2004 18:02:39
Message: <41d0948f@news.povray.org>
The docs give the default media settings (relevant to this post) as:

method 3
intervals 10
samples 1,1

This would apparently not take advantage of the adaptive sampling
available under method 3, since this is only performed when the minimum
samples value is set at 3 or greater.

Having adaptive sampling "turned off" by default because the default
samples values are set to a minimum might make sense in terms of
consistency if the intervals value was set to a minimum as well.
However, it is clearly not and furthermore in apparent contradiction to
the recommended interval setting for method 3.

I am particularly puzzled about this. While it seems obviously
inconsistent to me, I have been unable to find any relevant discussions
or questions on the pov newsgroups (yet).

Could someone clarify or corroborate?

Abe

Post a reply to this message