POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OSI compatible license. Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  OSI compatible license. (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: vdbergh
Subject: OSI compatible license.
Date: 23 Sep 2004 04:20:00
Message: <web.4152864ccdffb6835c3acc940@news.povray.org>
I was wondering if there are still plans to release a version of Povray
under an OSI compatible license (e.g. the GPL, see www.opensource.org)?
The license for Povray 3.5 stated that this would eventually happen, but
this statement seems to have disappeared in the license of 3.6 (it is
replaced by a somewhat convoluted reference to "open source distributions").
The use of an OSI incompatible license complicates the inclusion of Povray
in Linux distributions (see the recent XFree vs xorg debate) and in this way
ultimately makes things more difficult for the enduser.

Note that it would be perfectly possible for Povray to be licensed both
under its
original license and under the GPL. This is for example the case with
Mozilla
(which is even triply licensed).

Best regards,
Michel