POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OSI compatible license. : Re: OSI compatible license. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OSI compatible license.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Sep 2004 06:50:02
Message: <ciu9k2$5vo$1@chho.imagico.de>
vdbergh wrote:

> The reason I think why Linux distributions do not include OSI incompatible
> software is that they can't make bugfixes.

That is not true, any Linux distributor is free to apply bugfixes to
POV-Ray.  The aspects of the POV-Ray license that make it not OSI
compatible have nothing to do with the interests of Linux distributors.

Note that several well known Linux distribution include POV-Ray which
contradicts your statement above as well.

> And of course for many
> of them there is a philosophical reason as well.

You probably mean ideological reasons - and at least commercial
distributors usually can't afford such a luxury.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______