POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photons and reflections - huh? Server Time
19 May 2024 19:57:00 EDT (-0400)
  Photons and reflections - huh? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Photons and reflections - huh?
Date: 13 Sep 2004 08:23:04
Message: <41459128$1@news.povray.org>
Im probably missing something, but:

I have a red reflecting sphere and a white light source and a white
plane and many photons. Should the light reflecting from the sphere
(showing on the plane) be red, not white? Now it is white. I'd think
that the red sphere should absorb all the other components but red. Or
should it? So, is my thinking flawed or is this a feature/bug in
POV-Ray's photon mapping? Most likely I'm missing something very obvious
here so please correct me.

See the next scene:

camera {
     location  <1, 3, -2>
     look_at   <0, 0,  0>  }

light_source{<5,10,-5> rgb 1}

global_settings {photons { count 100000}}

plane {y,0 pigment {rgb 1} }

cylinder{0,y,1
     pigment {rgb x}
     finish {reflection 1}