POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OpenEXR format Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  OpenEXR format (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: OpenEXR format
Date: 5 Aug 2004 17:53:51
Message: <4112ac6f$1@news.povray.org>
Considering the growing interest in high dynamic range images, would it
be worthwhile to add the OpenEXR format (www.openexr.com) support to
POV-Ray?

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: espri128
Subject: Re: OpenEXR format
Date: 6 Aug 2004 02:40:00
Message: <web.4113270ce5915a11af5ddb00@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Considering the growing interest in high dynamic range images, would it
> be worthwhile to add the OpenEXR format (www.openexr.com) support to
> POV-Ray?
>
> Regards,
> John

Hi John,

I think it's really worth for output (generating HDR-Images with POV-Ray)
and input (for HDRI-Lightning).

Regards
 Steffen

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Aug 2004 02:50:01
Message: <cev9kf$290$1@chho.imagico.de>
John VanSickle wrote:
> Considering the growing interest in high dynamic range images, would it
> be worthwhile to add the OpenEXR format (www.openexr.com) support to
> POV-Ray?

'worthwhile' is somewhat difficult to decide.  I'd say it is probably
quite a lot of work (that format seems rather complicated) and requiring
everyone who wants to build POV-Ray from source to download an
additional 9 MB package is not what i would consider as user friendly.
And it is mostly unnecessary - There are other high dynamic range
formats that are much more straight away to implement and use.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message