POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere and torus syntax Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  sphere and torus syntax (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: IMBJR
Subject: sphere and torus syntax
Date: 14 Apr 2004 14:28:22
Message: <407d82c6$1@news.povray.org>
Just wondering why we cannot state in the definition of a torus it's
"centre" as we do for a sphere?

Is this because the torus does not have a centre as such, but it does have
an origin.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Subject: Re: sphere and torus syntax
Date: 14 Apr 2004 15:32:51
Message: <407d91e3$1@news.povray.org>
> Just wondering why we cannot state in the definition of a torus it's
> "centre" as we do for a sphere?
>
> Is this because the torus does not have a centre as such, but it does have
> an origin.

The major building parts for a torus are just the major and minor radius. A
box, for example, also has an origin, but you still just position the two
corners. I guess for the sphere, the center position just can easily be
integrated into the solving process, whereas for a torus it would be a
matrix-transformation anway, but that's just an educated guess and may be
incorrect.

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>