POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Building a fast PC... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Building a fast PC... (Message 23 to 32 of 62)
From: Thierry Boudet
Subject: Re: Building a fast PC...
Date: 27 Mar 2004 18:08:54
Message: <40660986@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:

> So, what do you think? What sort of system should I build?

	http://www.top500.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Thierry Boudet
Date: 27 Mar 2004 18:20:44
Message: <40660c4c$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:

> Has anyone attempted such a thing? Is there software/OS's available that will
> let a network of PCs emulate a multi-processor system?

      may be http://www.mosix.org/ ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Date: 27 Mar 2004 18:39:53
Message: <406610c9$1@news.povray.org>
"Thierry Boudet" <oul### [at] chezcom> wrote in message
> Tek wrote:
> > Has anyone attempted such a thing? Is there software/OS's available that
will
> > let a network of PCs emulate a multi-processor system?
>
>       may be http://www.mosix.org/ ?

Ooh, that looks interesting!
Now all I need is a parallel processing version of POV and lots of PCs...

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Mar 2004 21:27:11
Message: <MPG.1acfe5462ad64919899fa@news.povray.org>
Hmm. just had a thought.. There is a program called Synergy out that lets
you control two networked machines with the same keyboard and mouse.
There is an article on TechTV about it at:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3647418
,00.html

This might actually make managing two or more machines easier. It runs on
both Windows and Linux. Haven't tried it myself, but then I haven't got
anything networked to try it with. It definitely looked interesting
though.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

> I'm getting confused, what system are you saying I should buy?

Amiga ;)

--
Tom
_________________________________

Post a reply to this message

>>I'm getting confused, what system are you saying I should buy?
>>

> Amiga ;)

Yeah! Amiga rules!!!

--
Laurent ARTAUD (lau### [at] freefr)

Post a reply to this message

> "Thierry Boudet" <oul### [at] chezcom> wrote in message
>
>>Tek wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone attempted such a thing? Is there software/OS's available that
>
> will
>
>>>let a network of PCs emulate a multi-processor system?
>>
>>      may be http://www.mosix.org/ ?
>

> Ooh, that looks interesting!
> Now all I need is a parallel processing version of POV and lots of PCs...

Well, you should prefer "http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/"...

Regards,

"laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr" <"laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr"> wrote in message
> > "Thierry Boudet" <oul### [at] chezcom> wrote in message

> > will

> >>      may be http://www.mosix.org/ ?
> >

> > Ooh, that looks interesting!
> > Now all I need is a parallel processing version of POV and lots of PCs...
> >

> Well, you should prefer "http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/"...
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Laurent ARTAUD (lau### [at] freefr)

Post a reply to this message

Interesting, though I'm not sure that it really saves me much work since the
more difficult thing is farming out rendering of *different* sections of the
scene...

In fact, what I'd want would be a way to execute pov remotely on a linux machine
by invoking it from my windows machine.

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

"Patrick Elliott" <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Hmm. just had a thought.. There is a program called Synergy out that lets
> you control two networked machines with the same keyboard and mouse.
> There is an article on TechTV about it at:
>
> http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3647418
> ,00.html
>
> This might actually make managing two or more machines easier. It runs on
> both Windows and Linux. Haven't tried it myself, but then I haven't got
> anything networked to try it with. It definitely looked interesting
> though.
>
> --
> void main () {

>     call functional_code()