POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-based realtime animation? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  POV-based realtime animation? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Samuel T  Benge
Subject: POV-based realtime animation?
Date: 20 Mar 2004 10:15:23
Message: <405C5FD5.3020207@hotmail.com>
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was ever going to make a realtime animation
program based on POV-Ray's syntax.

It would be exactly like POV script, so you could open a POV file and
watch it go. It would probably use openGL. It wouldn't (couldn't)
support POV's texture patterns, or all of the object primitives, but it
would support all the programming commands (#declare, #while, inside(),
trace(), etc.) It would ignore anything it didn't support, probably
giving you an error in the process, but parsing and animating your code
nevertheless.

The user would be able to define mesh densities for all the primitives,
probably as a global setting or menu command. The program might be added
onto existing versions of POV-Ray as a patch, activated by something in
the command line or global settings.

Does this sound like a bad, hard-to-implement idea? So many times I have
wished there was such a program. Both programmers and non-programmers
alike would probably enjoy using a program like this, since getting set
up to use openGL or DirectX for a small project can be a real hair-puller.

I'd program it myself if I could, but I'm years behind the kind of skill
it takes to do so.

-Samuel Benge

Post a reply to this message