POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  A good blurred reflection with bumps (Message 29 to 38 of 38)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
Date: 7 Jan 2004 06:38:49
Message: <3ffbefc9$1@news.povray.org>
> No.  The problem with blurred reflection is not a resolution problem, if
> it was you could render the scene at larger size (without aa) and get a
> nice image.  Blurred reflections is about blur, i.e. averaging of color
> values.  This is not unrealistic at all, in real life the averaging is
> mostly matter of interference, diffraction, etc.
> And aa is not designed to generate blur, it is meant to diminish
> aliasing artefacts due to the discrete sampling of an image.  The effect
> that it generates blur in your images is in fact only an unintended side
> effect.

But isn't this the case: if I render an image much larger and view it
from _large enough distance_ (where the individual pixels/"grains" can't
be perceived by the eye) I will see only good smooth blur on
reflections, not grains. And on the other hand, if our eyes had infinite
resolution, the blurred reflections in real life would be quite
different looking. This is not about AA generating the blur, but makeing
it look realistic as it would look in real life. But then again, I have
not ever looked through the microscope at a blurry reflecting surface,
but somehow I still think a single normal pattern is more realistic
approach.

Severi S.

Post a reply to this message