POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : linux and windows version produce different output Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  linux and windows version produce different output (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: linux and windows version produce different output
Date: 17 Nov 2003 22:04:28
Message: <cjameshuff-B4B95B.22011117112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3fb90bc3df2bb6e4541c87100@news.povray.org>,
 "Tom York" <tom### [at] compsocmanacuk> wrote:

> I have no idea what the best solution would be. Is it such a bad idea to
> obey the user-specified reflection_min/max even in the case of TIR?

Well, there's a reason it's called *total* internal reflection...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom York
Date: 18 Nov 2003 06:45:04
Message: <web.3fba0509df2bb6e4541c87100@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3fb90bc3df2bb6e4541c87100[at]news.povray.org>,
> "Tom York" <tom### [at] compsocmanacuk> wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what the best solution would be. Is it such a bad idea to
>> obey the user-specified reflection_min/max even in the case of TIR?
>
>Well, there's a reason it's called *total* internal reflection...
>
>Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
>POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
>http://tag.povray.org/

Then surely the extinction keyword should never be allowed to take a value
other than unity, and the conserve_energy feature should always be on, and
reflection_min should always be forced to take a value less than
reflection_max ...

I understand that 100% reflection would be the physically correct value, and
I'm sure that there is a good argument for making it independent of
reflection_max, but I'm just not sure that physical correctness is that
argument - it could be taken to apply a lot more widely than it does.

Post a reply to this message