POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray and physical simulation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray and physical simulation (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Andrej Slavik
Subject: POV-Ray and physical simulation
Date: 21 Sep 2003 07:05:01
Message: <web.3f6d83d878e5ce8fa6e5cfad0@news.povray.org>
Greetings!

I have been using POV-Ray for graphical work
for a couple of years, and am truly impressed
with the functionality and flexibility of the program.
Becoming more and more fascinated with the
potential of ray-tracing in general and POV-Ray
in particular, I have lately started pondering on
the possibility of integrating physics simulation
in the software - a new step towards the ultimate
realism that computer grapics as an art form
seems to strive for.

I am aware of some tendencies in this direction,
e. g. simulation of gravity in particle generators.
But have there been any systematic and organized
programming initiatives? It would of course be
a tremendous undertaking, but a glorious one as
well - turning POV-Ray into a general phenomeno-
logical and physical software rather than just an
application for making pretty pictures.

(I am not a programmer myself, so regard this as
a question born out of pure curiosity. Although I
realize the enormous complexity of the proposed
task, I can't help but being... well, swept away by
the thought of what lies ahead!)

Post a reply to this message