POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Subject: Re: Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing
Date: 17 Oct 2003 15:20:23
Message: <3f9040f7@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:

> It just occurred to me how nice it would be to have the ability for
> antialiasing to start at a level above pixel-level. That is, at a
> superpixel level.

I had a similar idea and implemented it some time back.
Results and a patch here:
http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/povray/ipt-patch/

I plan to implement some progressive refinement for the mosaic
preview when I find the time and the will...
...or is anybody else working on that?

Wolfgang

Post a reply to this message

From: nospam
Date: 18 Oct 2003 21:58:36
Message: <3f91eef0.3896727@localhost>
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:19:59 +0200, Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

>Rune wrote:
>
>> It just occurred to me how nice it would be to have the ability for
>> antialiasing to start at a level above pixel-level. That is, at a
>> superpixel level.
>>
>I had a similar idea and implemented it some time back.
>Results and a patch here:
>http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/povray/ipt-patch/
>
>I plan to implement some progressive refinement for the mosaic
>preview when I find the time and the will...
>...or is anybody else working on that?
>
>Wolfgang

Do you mean like the Mosaic Preview function in porvay?

Post a reply to this message

From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 19 Oct 2003 06:08:34
Message: <3f9262a1@news.povray.org>
nospam wrote:
>>I plan to implement some progressive refinement for the mosaic
>>preview when I find the time and the will...
>>...or is anybody else working on that?
>>
> Do you mean like the Mosaic Preview function in porvay?

Well, I was not clear here: I mean mosaic-like preview with
progressive refinement. The refinement should be steered in
a way that the "interesting parts" appear first. Hence, it
would work somehow like AA: the algorithm starts with
9 rendered pixels then decides which of the resulting rectangles
to subdivide first, etc. In the end, the complete image is rendered
but you should be able to see the interesting parts earlier.

Wolfgang