POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image map filenames with extended ASCII characters (PoseRay development) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Image map filenames with extended ASCII characters (PoseRay development) (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: flyer 2000
Subject: Image map filenames with extended ASCII characters (PoseRay development)
Date: 24 Jul 2003 19:20:01
Message: <web.3f20691cb57395e4e385dc2c0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

This is the last thing that I would like to fix for the next release of
PoseRay (v3.0.1) that hopefully should be during the weekend.

I am using POV-Ray 3.5 in Windows 98 (English language). I was trying to
render a model that used image maps with accents. For example one of the

indicates that it cannot load the image map. If I change the accented
character in the file and the POV-Ray code then it works properly.

I set up the charset to utf8 but that did not help. I know that POV-Ray only
recognizes the lower 128 ASCII characters. Is there a way around this with
filenames? I also tried to use the unicode equivalents in the filename as
"Suba arri\u00E9re.jpg" but that did not work either.

I could make an option to copy/rename the maps without accents and rename
the map names in each material but it would be nicer if POV-Ray could read
these files without modification.

thanks for any info or suggestions,

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message

> I set up the charset to utf8 but that did not help. I know that POV-Ray only
> recognizes the lower 128 ASCII characters. Is there a way around this with
> filenames? I also tried to use the unicode equivalents in the filename as
> "Suba arri\u00E9re.jpg" but that did not work either.

You cannot load files with names outside the ASCII character range.  Unicode
is supported for text, not filenames.  There is no workaround in a portable
program like POV-Ray.  You have to rename your files.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

> You cannot load files with names outside the ASCII character range.  Unicode
> is supported for text, not filenames.  There is no workaround in a portable
> program like POV-Ray.  You have to rename your files.

Shouldn't unicode be portable?  I know *NIX supports unicode, thus so
would OSX, and Win2k+ supports it, therefore there is no reason to say
unicode isn't portable.

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

> Shouldn't unicode be portable?  I know *NIX supports unicode, thus so
> would OSX, and Win2k+ supports it, therefore there is no reason to say
> unicode isn't portable.

Unicode implementations are still kind of tricky under many platforms, and
not compiled-in by default on lots of others. Not to mention that Unicode is
not generally used for filenames on *NIX (AFAIK), only for text and
interfaces.

Post a reply to this message

> Unicode implementations are still kind of tricky under many platforms, and
> not compiled-in by default on lots of others. Not to mention that Unicode is
> not generally used for filenames on *NIX (AFAIK), only for text and
> interfaces.

*sniffle*  But Unicode is the best thing since sliced bread! T_T
Sucks that a lot of Windows software doesn't support it yet...