POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image map filenames with extended ASCII characters (PoseRay development) : Re: Image map filenames with extended ASCII characters(PoseRaydevelopment) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image map filenames with extended ASCII characters(PoseRaydevelopment)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Jul 2003 17:54:02
Message: <3f21a6fa$1@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.198b4d77e17bd15e989842@news.povray.org> , Patrick Elliott
<sha### [at] hotmailcom>  wrote:

>> It has nothing to do with Unicode.  It has to do with the filesystem and how
>> it is accessed.  there is no portable way to access files with Unicode names
>> because you cannot pass Unicode strings.  That is all.
>
> I doubt this is a unicode file name. File systems don't use it. In fact
> the file name is likely using a perfectly valid OEM file name, which
> allows for anything from character 32 to 255, with the exception of a few
> like ',', '*', '?', etc. The problem is, using the usual complete lack of
> common sense, MS decided that the file system itself should 'allow'
> characters beyond 127, but that some standard methods for opening,
> closing, etc. the same files should only use the main ASCII range.
> Obviously POV-Ray falls pray to this same stupidity by either enforcing a
> nonexistent restriction or by calling the file handler in a way that
> results in it rejecting perfectly valid names. This is ironically a left
> over for the days of DOS, when only programs the bypassed the standard
> DOS access methods could save or read such a file.

Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about.  You either don't
seem to even have read this thread or you don't know what "portable" means.
It has nothing to do with Mircosoft.  It has nothing to do with "POV-Ray
fall[ing] pray to this same stupidity" because this, too, has absolutely
nothing to do with not making Unicode filenames possible.  Your whole
response is just completely on the wrong track and has absolutely nothing to
do with anything discussed in this thread.  Sorry!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde