POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Controlled Randomness Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Controlled Randomness (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: How Camp
Subject: Controlled Randomness
Date: 1 Jul 2003 10:30:59
Message: <3f019b23$1@news.povray.org>
I enjoyed reading Gilles Tran's explanation of how "Reach For the Stars" was
created.  There was a reference to 'controlled randomness', or placing many
objects in such a fashion as to make a scene look relatively complex.

I've had no luck trying this myself.  I can randomly place object on
surfaces, etc. via the trace() function, and even store an object's xyz
coordinates in an array, along with some pseudo-volumetric information to
try and avoid collisions (which I'm not doing very well).

Could anyone give me some ideas as to how this might be done efficiently?

- How

Post a reply to this message