POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing (Message 12 to 21 of 51)
From: Harold Baize
Subject: Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing
Date: 28 Oct 2002 14:03:44
Message: <3dbd8a10$1@news.povray.org>
IIRC, Exluna was formed by two people who left Pixar,
so it is not unreasonable to believe they actually took
some techniques with them. Probably fast anti-aliasing
algorithms that they wrote, but Pixar "owned". This is
a real problem in academia too. If you invent something
while you are a grad student or post-doc at a university,
the University owns it. So wait till you're on your own
before you publish it!

Harold

"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj:-)56590@ao:-)l.com> wrote in message
> 3D World had an article about this, but I couldn't find an online link.
>
> http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/07_jul/news/07_22/pixar_exluna.htm
>
> Pixar sued a rival, and one of the object of contention was the
> anti-aliasing technique.  Is POV OK?

Post a reply to this message