POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing : Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing
From: Harold Baize
Date: 28 Oct 2002 14:03:44
Message: <3dbd8a10$1@news.povray.org>
IIRC, Exluna was formed by two people who left Pixar,
so it is not unreasonable to believe they actually took
some techniques with them. Probably fast anti-aliasing
algorithms that they wrote, but Pixar "owned". This is
a real problem in academia too. If you invent something
while you are a grad student or post-doc at a university,
the University owns it. So wait till you're on your own
before you publish it!

Harold