POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible bug in shiny bicubic_patch Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:13:41 EDT (-0400)
  Possible bug in shiny bicubic_patch (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: jansb000
Subject: Possible bug in shiny bicubic_patch
Date: 10 Sep 2002 16:01:46
Message: <3d7e4faa$1@news.povray.org>
I created a structure from bicubic patches. I noticed that if I use a shiny
finish the reflected image is not smooth over the edges of the bicubic
patches. With a normal (red) pigment the object seems smooth, so there is no
reason why the reflection of a shiny surface should be broken.

Note: I created the object manually, but I understand the nature of bicubic
patches and I am 99.9999% certain that the individual patches line up
smoothly.

An example picture is available in the newsgroup povray.binaries.images and
is titled:
"Possible bug in shiny bicubic_patch (82kb)"

The border - indicated by a red ellipse - shows exactly the problem.
Another example is marked by the blue ellipse, but on this scale it is more
difficult to see.

Note: The red object has some marks, but these are originated by a
conversion to jpg format. They are not visible in the original BMP (300kb).

Post a reply to this message