POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Placing objects on spheres... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Placing objects on spheres... (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Shay
Subject: Re: Placing objects on spheres...
Date: 28 Aug 2002 12:33:18
Message: <3d6cfb4e@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Are you referring to the method described in Christoph's
> link on the bottom "Uniform Distribution - Hypercube rejection
> method"?

No, something much simpler. I am talking about taking a cube and inflating
it into a sphere. I found this pic on google:
http://www.truegrid.com/sphere.100.jpg .
Of course this doesn't give you as much freedom over how many points you
want, but it has other advantages. I had a macro which split up a sphere
three different ways, but I guess I killed it, because I cannot find it.

> Also, texturing the hairs shouldn't be too difficult anyways,
> I can always use the base-position for calculations,
> can't I?

I am guessing that by "base-position" you mean the location of the hair
before or after it is wrapped around the sphere. If this is the case, then
the pigment will have to be placed in a 2D pattern which will represent the
sphere "unwrapped." With the inflated cube method, this 2D representation
can be a simple 't' shape if you don't mind just a little distortion. This
method will also return a point set much faster than any other I can think
of.

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message

> I am guessing that by "base-position" you mean the location of the hair
> before or after it is wrapped around the sphere. If this is the case, then
...snip...

Nope, I meant the actual position on the sphere.

As for speed, that might be true, but look at Christoph's link, that first
algorithm looks very promising to me...

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

Post a reply to this message

> Nope, I meant the actual position on the sphere.

Still, you need to map which pigment to apply for any given position on the
sphere.

> As for speed, that might be true, but look at Christoph's link, that first
> algorithm looks very promising to me...

Looks very cool, but I wouldn't want to wait for over about 500 hairs. It
might take several days to parse.

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message

If I get to it, I'll script the algorithm today, then I'll
tell you, how long it does take...

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

> If I get to it, I'll script the algorithm today, then I'll
> tell you, how long it does take...

Considering 10K hairs would require literally BILLIONS of operations, we may
have to wait more than one day for your response!!<g> The code will be very
useful for other things, however.

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message