POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Placing objects on spheres... : Re: Placing objects on spheres... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Placing objects on spheres...
From: Shay
Date: 28 Aug 2002 12:33:18
Message: <3d6cfb4e@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Are you referring to the method described in Christoph's
> link on the bottom "Uniform Distribution - Hypercube rejection
> method"?

No, something much simpler. I am talking about taking a cube and inflating
it into a sphere. I found this pic on google:
http://www.truegrid.com/sphere.100.jpg .
Of course this doesn't give you as much freedom over how many points you
want, but it has other advantages. I had a macro which split up a sphere
three different ways, but I guess I killed it, because I cannot find it.

> Also, texturing the hairs shouldn't be too difficult anyways,
> I can always use the base-position for calculations,
> can't I?

I am guessing that by "base-position" you mean the location of the hair
before or after it is wrapped around the sphere. If this is the case, then
the pigment will have to be placed in a 2D pattern which will represent the
sphere "unwrapped." With the inflated cube method, this 2D representation
can be a simple 't' shape if you don't mind just a little distortion. This
method will also return a point set much faster than any other I can think
of.

 -Shay