POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : focal blur problem (bug?) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  focal blur problem (bug?) (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: focal blur problem (bug?)
Date: 22 Aug 2002 10:42:25
Message: <3d64f851@news.povray.org>
It seems to be focal blur week this week, so I'll ask a question too :)
When I use focal blur in a scene with really bright spots, it seems as if
POV-Ray doesn't use the real brightness, but the clipped values.  For example: a
blurred spot with a brightness > 1 doesn't look any different than a blurred
spot with a brightness = 1.  That's too bad, because I really like the effect in
photographs where focal blurred lights produce bright circles.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this just the way POV-Ray's focal blur
works?

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1

Post a reply to this message

<zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote:

> It seems to be focal blur week this week, so I'll ask a question too :) When I
> use focal blur in a scene with really bright spots, it seems as if POV-Ray
> doesn't use the real brightness, but the clipped values.  For example: a
> blurred spot with a brightness > 1 doesn't look any different than a blurred
> spot with a brightness = 1.

Not sure I understand you.  You say you want a stronger white?

> That's too bad, because I really like the effect
> in photographs where focal blurred lights produce bright circles.

You mean lens flares?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:18:32 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>Not sure I understand you.  You say you want a stronger white?

finish { ambient 1000 } for example. If POV averages blur samples
after it clips colors, it will make no difference. If it averages
before clipping colors, then it should work as expected.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg