POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : WorldMachine to POV Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:10:17 EDT (-0400)
  WorldMachine to POV (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Slime
Subject: WorldMachine to POV
Date: 5 Aug 2002 21:14:02
Message: <3d4f22da@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know of any conversion utility that can take one of
WorldMachine's 16-bit (or more) output formats (Such as Terragen TER) and
convert it to a format that POV-Ray can read (without returning to 8 bits)?

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

>Does anyone know of any conversion utility that can take one of
>WorldMachine's 16-bit (or more) output formats (Such as Terragen TER) and
>convert it to a format that POV-Ray can read (without returning to 8 bits)?
>
> - Slime

Sure, somthing like

height_field{
  function X_res,Y_res {
    pattern{
      image_map{tga "HF.tga"}
      rotate -90*x
    }
  }
  translate <-,.5,0,-.5>
}
// WARNING: UNTESTED CODE
=RAY=

Post a reply to this message

> >Does anyone know of any conversion utility that can take one of
> >WorldMachine's 16-bit (or more) output formats (Such as Terragen TER) and
> >convert it to a format that POV-Ray can read (without returning to 8 bits)?
> Sure, somthing like
>
> height_field{
>   function X_res,Y_res {
>     pattern{
>       image_map{tga "HF.tga"}
>       rotate -90*x
>     }
>   }
>   translate <-,.5,0,-.5>
> }

Not sure what you are suggesting here...the height_field shape can use
anything an image_map can use, so running the image through a function
is no help at all. And it looks like you misread "TER" as "TGA".

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

>In article <web.3d4f2f4bbaf777fe264908380[at]news.povray.org>,
> "=RAY=" <ray### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> >Does anyone know of any conversion utility that can take one of
>> >WorldMachine's 16-bit (or more) output formats (Such as Terragen TER) and
>> >convert it to a format that POV-Ray can read (without returning to 8 bits)?
>> Sure, somthing like
>>
>> height_field{
>>   function X_res,Y_res {
>>     pattern{
>>       image_map{tga "HF.tga"}
>>       rotate -90*x
>>     }
>>   }
>>   translate <-,.5,0,-.5>
>> }
>
>Not sure what you are suggesting here...the height_field shape can use
>anything an image_map can use, so running the image through a function
>is no help at all. And it looks like you misread "TER" as "TGA".

I saw the "such as" and I know WorldMachine exports greyscale TGAs.  Also,
the docs explain that TGA HFs aren't greyscale. See 6.5.1.5 Paragraph 13
(or so).

=RAY=

Post a reply to this message