POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd sphere sweep shadown problem happens in RC5 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Odd sphere sweep shadown problem happens in RC5 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Sir Charles W  Shults III
Subject: Odd sphere sweep shadown problem happens in RC5
Date: 24 May 2002 00:58:38
Message: <3cedc87e$1@news.povray.org>
I have found a problem with the way sphere sweeps cast shadows, and I have
not seen anything about this but I may have missed it.  I started with a simple
sphere sweep with b_spline and tolerance 1 and I may have made some sort of
error here.  However, I played with this a little and decided to put a couple of
other objects in the scene for reference.
    Obviously, if there are sections of a sphere sweep that are "control"
segments, they will be invisible and you would not render them or their shadows-
no_shadow is the key here, I think.  But the first segment is control and should
be invisible with no_shadow in effect, and that I understand.  It appears that
the second segment is still flagged for no_shadow in the routine, and so while
it renders, it will leave a gap.  Probably something very simple to fix in the
source.
    Any POVers have this occur?  I can post an image in another group if you
have to see this, as well as source code.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Post a reply to this message

Okay, I have played with this some more and found that setting the tolerance
value low gets rid of this.  I suppose that my unfamiliarity with the sphere
sweep made this goof possible.  Never mind.  I should have read the
documentation a little more carefully.